If we’re not continually growing, continually working to improve ourselves as human beings, then what are we doing? Sure, we’re all just doing the best we can at any given moment, but aren’t we all at least trying to be the best versions of ourselves we can possibly be? Continual self-improvement is deeply-rooted in all of us; proof is in every bookstore & all over the internet.
Obviously, we fall short every single day because no one’s perfect, but we keep trying… right? That is what’s important, that we keep trying. When we give up is when we’re in big trouble.
Don’t Give Up
• I don’t give up when, for the millionth time, I’m not as forthcoming with compassion as I’d like to be. I gently remind myself that there is growth in the awareness & push myself to do better next time.
• I don’t give up when, I miss yet another teachable moment with my daughters, or I grabbed the moment but screwed it all to hell! I gently remind myself that they love me anyway, there will be more, & I will do better next time.
• I don’t give up when, I give my husband the worst of me instead of the best, & he always deserves the best. I gently remind myself that he loves me unconditionally, as I love him; & I will try extra hard to do better next time.
• I don’t give up when, I eat enough food to feed a small village… in one sitting. I burp & purely intend to do better the rest of the day. It doesn’t always work out but I keep on trying.
• I don’t give up when, I allow someone else’s ignorance to get the better of me… for a minute even sinking down to their level which in turn gives them power over me. I gently remind myself that, that’s not who I am. Knowing it’s human nature but working towards a point in which these things don’t faze me.
Gently. I’m not always so gentle about these things. I’m generally quite hard on myself, as I imagine many of you are too. We tend to be our own worst critics. The problem is that this criticism is usually unfairly biased. It would be extremely helpful if we started taking our own advice & treating ourselves the way we treat our friends & loved ones. Heck, we’re often more polite to strangers than we are to ourselves. Be nice. Be gentle.
Life is hard as hell! Sometimes we just need to pat ourselves on the back for suiting up & showing up every-damn-day. No one’s going to do it for us! In the midst of it all we’re continually growing, continually striving to be our best selves. That’s something. So let’s be GENTLE with ourselves along the way.